Finding the perfect kitchen backsplash is more challenging now more than ever. With the endless choices of materials available, it will be hard-pressed to pick just one.
At the end of the day, you’ll want a backsplash that is both decorative and functional. It should be able to withstand the spills and splatters of sauces and cooking oils. It should make a design statement that retains its beauty over time.
So, where do you get started? Check out these tips to help you choose the perfect kitchen backsplash material.
- Identify your personal style. As they say, beauty is in the beholder’s eyes. To narrow down your options, you need to determine the style that you want for your kitchen backsplash. If you’re not sure which design you favor, check backsplash design ideas online. Bookmark or save images that you love and later on see which particular styles tend to appeal to you. Once you know whether you prefer contemporary, traditional, minimalistic, and the list goes on, it will be easier to set your focus. You have a guide as to which theme you want to explore further.
- Think of color. The color you choose for your backsplash can instantly impact the overall appearance of your kitchen. At one glance, it can make your kitchen look sophisticated, sleek, adventurous or fun. Among the most popular color choices for backsplashes are the neutral tones. Neutrals remain sought after despite the emerging design trends. Some also find these colors relaxing. Colorful backsplashes, on the other hand, make for an interesting focal point, giving your kitchen a character of its own.
- Decide on the material. Marble, granite, quartz are examples of materials that you can use for your kitchen backsplash. There are more choices available but you’ll want to choose which will satisfy your requirements. You also need to factor in your budget. Every material has its advantages and disadvantages. If you’re fine with the cons of the product you choose, then you’re good to go. Be sure to put longevity and durability at the top of your list as though its size is relatively small, your backsplash is sure to get busy.
- Look into available patterns. Make your kitchen stand out with fun patterns. Natural stones such as marble and granite already have unique patterns on them. And if you want to add more style to your backsplash, you can also have the material cut into different shapes and sizes. Modern technology also allows intricate designing of materials. Of course, this will increase the cost of your kitchen remodeling project but it should be manageable if applied only in a small area. Ask your stone surfacing supplier ahead of time about the costs involved in the project if you want the material customized.
- Consider the overall look. Think of the big picture. Backsplash should always be considered a part of your kitchen. Its design should work well with your countertops, floor, and even your kitchen cabinets. And remember that for any design you choose, use of high-quality materials and proper installation are crucial to ensuring returns on your investment. Remodeling your kitchen, even if you’re only working on your backsplash, is tough. But with a professional supplier and installer helping you out, the overall experience should be pleasant and manageable.
At Universal Marble & Granite, our stone surfacing experts help you choose the perfect material for your kitchen backsplash. View our natural stone collection through our gallery or visit us at 7265 Peppermill Parkway, North Charleston, SC 29418.